Excessive shaving, pregnancy, hormonal changes, poor quality deodorants are some of the common reasons why underarms darken. Another culprit is extra weight as it intensifies pigmentation not only in the armpits but also to some areas of the body like the nape and back of the knees and inner thighs.
Having a dark underarm is really a turn-off. I was really annoyed when my armpits and inner thighs darkened during my pregnancy. My obstetrician said that it is common for pregnant women to develop blotchy areas of darkened skin, commonly called as the mask of pregnancy. Hormonal changes during this stage stimulate a temporary increase in the body’s production of melanin. I got so conscious that I cannot wear spaghetti strap dresses, bathing suits, sleeveless shirts and blouses. Luckily, it returned to its normal shade a few months after delivery/giving birth. I am using this deodorant for years now and I am satisfied with the results.
Listed below are several remedies I have learned to whiten an underarm.
- My mom taught me to use powdered alum as a temporary underarm deodorant. I apply a mixture paste of white vinegar and baking soda to the underarms twice a day.
- Hair removal creams and agents may aggravate skin darkening as they contain strong substances to remove hair but at the same time can also darken the skin beneath, so refrain or much better to stop using them.
- Some deodorants irritates skin and causes allergy making it itchy and scratching it may result to bruises or wounds.
- If you’re into shaving, shave only once a week because shaving removes the top layer of the skin along with the hair and when exposed to perspiration the newly exposed layer will darken immediately.
- Underarm waxing is good but it is best recommended to have it be done by a professional, for underarm skin is sensitive, prolonged or improper waxing procedure can make it bleed or burn.
- Avoid tight clothes that brush against the armpit skin, wear breathable and comfortable clothes.
- Hygiene is important, dirt, oil and sweat can add to darken the skin, wash your armpits well upon taking a bath.
- Seek medical help if you want to use lightening creams for safe and effective products to use.
- When the skin whitened, opt for a mild deodorant that can smoothen and at the same time functions as skin whitener too.